I'm sorry for this mess!!! This will (HOPEFULLY) be up and running by the middle of April

Three Books I WISH I Read My Freshman Year of High School





So I've been out of high school for nearly six months now- which, I know, is still not a lot of time.  But, in that period, I've had a lot of time to reflect on my (rather crazy) high school experience, and I've come to the conclusion that there are a quite a few books that, if I had read them my freshman year, would have helped me tremendously.  Whether it involved dealing with fake friends, bullies, crushes, or that constant need to overachieve, I know that all these books would have definitely helped me out a lot.  

1. Simon Vs. the Homosapien's Agenda by Becky Albertalli 

Now, this book was released (and read) my junior year of high school, but I SO wish I would've been able to get my hands on it sooner.  One of the reasons I cannot stop talking about my love for this book, is because of its underlying message of always being unapologetically "you".  Simon knows that he's different than his peers, and yet, that doesn't stop him from being himself.  While I like to think that I never faltered from being my true self, I know that I had moments where I would try to be someone I wasn't, or where I tried too hard to "fit in".  Simon is a perfect example of a book that shows that you don't have to fit in with the crowd.  



2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell 

Another book that I read later on in my high school career, Fangirl is a story that I know would've been so helpful to me my freshman year.  As Cath deals with the trials and tribulations of starting school, making friends, growing up, and

following dreams, her story resembles (to an extent) what my high school experience was like.  Her struggle to fit in and find her place in her new school would have been so comforting to me at the start of my high school career.  



3. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson 

*Gasp* a non-fiction book?! Since I've been out of high school, I've been rediscovering non-fiction self-help/positive thinking books, and this has been one of my favorites lately.  I highly recommend it to anyone who's even a little bit interested in positive thinking, or anyone that tends to be high-strung (me). It really teaches you to let go of the small stuff, and live a happier life.  I can note so many times in high school where I was too anxious and too high-strung, and even moments now where I still am.  Whenever I jump into this mindset, I think of what that book said, and it helps to calm me down.  


So those are the three books that I wish I read my freshman year of high school! Have you read any of these books? Will you be picking any of these up soon? Let me know! 


1 comment

  1. This is quite interesting! I absolutely ADORED Fangirl (sigh, it was just so amazing) but I have not read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. I'm not sure whether it would really be something that I would like? Maybe I'm just a scaredy-cat. :-)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete