I'm sorry for this mess!!! This will (HOPEFULLY) be up and running by the middle of April

Review: INEVITABLE ASCENSION by V. K. McAllister


Release Date: September 12, 2015

Publisher: Self-Published

Page Count: 242

Rating: 3.5/5 stars






The innocent never waver from doing what’s right, even if it means drowning the world in fire. 

Violina had been burned and betrayed by mankind ever since she had sprung into existence. They had named her a heretic and condemned her to a pit to live and die in agony. Though she sat stranded, starved and bloodied, she would not submit. Violina, the girl who had been mocked and hunted for rejecting the warped ideals of artificial authority, would lay down her own law. 

Inevitable Ascension — The rapid-fire action/adventure novel packed with humor, wit and a host of twists—all wrapped up with a deeply intellectual and philosophical theme.





















INEVITABLE ASCENSION was a thrilling read that kept me on my toes. 

I'd never read a novel in the Steampunk genre, and certainly not one in the post-apocalyptic Steampunk genre. While I can't say that I have developed a particular fondness for this genre, I can't deny that this book was awesome. 

It was raw, real, and at times, incredibly gripping.  I found myself on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. However, it was a very start-stop kind of novel for me. It wasn't one that I could read in a single sitting, and I wasn't particularly enthralled the entire way through. There were moments where it was awesome...and then, it would die down and hit a low point. There were plenty of pages that I found myself skimming or skipping because it was just such a diversion from the awesome action. I really wish that the non-action scenes were just as strong as the action scenes. 

As for the characters...well, I can't say that I really related to them. It's not that they were bad at all, but they were a little tough to connect to. Violins, our protagonist, has a very complicated head that id equal parts intriguing and confusing. This juxtaposition, I think, was what really keep me going throughout this story. It kept me engaged, and constantly wondering what she had next up her sleeve. 

I don't often accept self-published books for review, however, I'm glad I accepted this one. It opened me up to an entirely new genre of literature, and brought an overall great read that was entirely unlike anything I had ever read before. If you're into video games, sci-fi, or anything a little kooky and out there and unlike anything else on the market, you will love his book. 

1 comment

  1. Ooh, so glad you enjoyed this one! I haven't read much Steampunk yet. I mean, I try occasionally? But usually I'm left underwhelmed. :P But the action scenes in this one sound AWESOME.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete