I'm sorry for this mess!!! This will (HOPEFULLY) be up and running by the middle of April

Review: SWEET EVIL by Wendy Higgins



Category: Young Adult 
Genre: Paranormal Romance

For those who loved: 
The Mortal Instruments series
Hush, Hush series
The Lux Series
White Hot Kiss



Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?



RATING: 3.5/5 Stars

Miss Anna Whitt is a sixteen year old who was adopted right after she was born. She was raised by her adoptive mother, Patti, went to church every Sunday, got good grades in school, never skipped a day in her life, and never tells even a little white lie. Not knowing a lot about where she came from, she started developing different "powers" - seeing peoples aura's, never getting sick, better hearing and eyesight than most, and more.  She never strayed from the rules Patti set for her, but one night when her best friend Jay begs her to come out to concert, everything changes. That's when she meets Kaidan Rowe.  

Kaiden Rowe isn't just your typical "bad boy". He's the child of the Duke of Lust - a demon, if you will. Kaiden was raised to seduce the female gender, and take the virtue of those he comes across. He is only one of the children of nephilim, and they were created just to be a bad influence on the human world. He also happens to be the drummer in a band called Lascivious in which Anna goes to see. 

Anna spots Kaiden and is quickly drawn to him since she senses something different about him. Eventually, Kaiden and Anna go on a road trip to California to find out more about her father and where she came from. Her father happens to be the Duke in charge of substance abuse and ended up in jail while he was “working"! 
 From then on out, the story unravels!

This book had A LOT of potential, and I thoroughly enjoyed this read. However, there were also somethings that I couldn't get over as well. So instead of ruining the rest of the book for you, I'll go over talking about a few of the characters! 

We'll start with Kaiden! 
Man. He was really a hard character to understand pretty much 3/4 of the book. This boy gave me some serious whiplash. For example: during his and Anna's road trip, he was hot and cold the entire time. You would think he was starting to have feelings for her, then he gets up and goes to "work" for a little bit (aka convincing girls to sleep with him). I actually hated him in those parts; it's made me so mad!!! We really don't get to see the real him and how he feels until the end of the book. He has some redeemable qualities underneath that hard exterior of his, so I can't wait to read more about him n the next book. 

Now on to Anna! 
She is a complicated one to explain. While I didn't exactly LOVE her character in the beginning, I didn't hate her either. She was raised with great beliefs and morals, but all that turned to shite when something didn't go well with Kaiden. She would stop eating, stop hanging out with friends, wouldn't go to school or study... Buh! I wanted to slap her sometimes because she wouldn't snap out of it. I mean, if someone treated me the way that Kaiden treated her, that crap would be over in a heartbeat, and I'd be saying "On to the next!". While that was one of the things I strongly disliked about her, I did find her to be extremely loyal and dedicated to finding out who and what she is. Despite everything that has sprung up out of no where, she is a relatively strong person, and took everything in stride (as long as it doesn't have to do with Kaiden. He is her weakness). Towards the end of the book, I noticed a transition in her character, and I'm excited to see her character growth in the next book! 
(Side Note: Children of Nephilim aren't supposed to be dating each other due to rules within their own). 

Ohhh Patti. I really liked her character! She fiercely loved Anna as if she was the one who had given birth to her, and she's such a strong willed southern woman. From the moment she adopted her, she knew she was going to be special. She did was she could to raise Anna the best she could be considering the circumstances. The only part I really questioned her judgement was when she let 16 year old Anna run off with Kaiden for a cross country trip after just meeting him for a few minutes when just that week, she didn't want Anna to even see him anymore. I do believe that maybe Patti was given a small gift as a token of adopting her to be a good judge of character when it came to the people Anna surrounded herself with. 

Cons
-The lead, Anna lacked a backbone when it came to Kaiden. I love a strong female lead and she lacked just that. 

-Though I throughly enjoyed this book, I deducted a bit from the rating because the story lacked a big plot twist or something that made me sit on the edge of my seat. The book still flowed smoothly, but would've liked something that made my feels go crazy! 

Pros
-This book has a unique twist on the Angel/Demon world. It was really neat to see how everything worked. Not only are there the Dukes and their children causing havoc on the world, but there's also the "whisperers" who entice the human race as well. 

-I really liked the contrast between to two main characters, Kaiden and Anna. They are two completely different people, and to see them mix was really interesting. 

-Instead of Anna having a female best friend, her best friend was a guy named Jay. They both balanced each other so well, and he is such a loyal friend to her! 

-The book was written very well, and very descriptive. I felt like I was in the locations she was explaining. 

-Despite the book lacking a bit in the excitement department, I really liked the ending! The cliff hanger left me wanting more, and I felt a huge shift in Anna's attitude towards everything. It left me wandering what could happen in the next book and I thought of limitless possibilities. 



Overall, the pros outweighed the cons, and I really enjoyed reading this book! I can definitely see the potential the the others have to offer, and I can't wait to dive into the next! 

No comments

Post a Comment