I'm sorry for this mess!!! This will (HOPEFULLY) be up and running by the middle of April

Review: WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart



Release Date: May 13, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Page Count: 242

Rating: 3.5/5 stars



A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
















If you truly want to get the most out of We Were Liars, don't read the synopsis. 

Seriously, don't do it. 

This is one of those books that is absolutely best if you don't know a single thing going into it. Nothing, nada. Not the protagonists's name, not the setting, and not one single detail of the plot. There should be just as much mystery surrounding the content of the book as there is within the actual story line, if you want to get the most out of the story. 

Now that little disclaimer is out of the way, let's get into the actual story: 

Overall, I liked it. I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars, though closer to the four-star mark than the three. I thought the story was incredibly original, intriguing, and It constantly left me on my toes and wanting more. 

I'm very hesitant to say too much about this story, only because it really is so much better if you don't know anything at all. So, instead of giving you a typical review, I'm going to list the top 3  reasons why you should pick up this book: 

1.  The writing- the writing is absolutely beautiful. Lockhart writes in such a captivatingly vague way, that's both haunting and beautiful at the same time. I can't even compare it to any other author's writing because it's that unique. 
2. The characters- there's so many characters in this book, it gets a little insane sometimes. Seriously, I got so confused who was who sometimes! Nevertheless, each character is so different from the next, and they all have such richly developed personalities that shine and flourish at their respective moments. The way in which their stories all connect is spine-chilling, and just the connection of the subplots alone will keep you on the edge of your seat.  
3. The plot twist- everyone talks about it; everyone knows about it. It's no
secret that this story ends in a massive plot twist, and when I say massive, I mean MASSIVE.   It will leave your mind reeling, and you'll have to sit down and just think about "what the hell just happened". It's nuts. I didn't believe it could possibly be as crazy as everyone talks about, but it really is 

I know this review is on the short side, but I didn't want any of you to be spoiled by what happens! So before you read anything else about this book- go pick up this book itself!! And if you've already read it, leave a comment below and let me know. Did you love it? Hate it? I've read reviews arguing both, so I'm interested to hear what you all have to say!



2 comments

  1. I loved this one initially, but I think it's one of those books you need to think over before reviewing because you're really still coming down after that ending. If I had to read it again though, I'm not sue I would have enjoyed it as much. Completely agree with the writing, it's truly lovely. But it feels pretty insignificant though, underwhelming until then end. It's the ending I think that makes most readers (myself included) rate it higher than it probably deserves. Have you read Dangerous Girls? That's a much better read. Great review Hannah, I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely. Looking at it now, several months after I read it, it isn't as exciting as it once was. And that is true, although lovely it is insignificant. Thank you for the kind words about the review! I have not read Dangerous Girls, but I'll look it up now! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete